Feast of Fools
Stroll the streets of Montpelier and enjoy a taste of our amazing restaurants! Purchase your tasting tickets at the Festival Booths on State Street or at the Capital City Farmer's Market. Redeem your tickets at each restaurant for small plates showcasing Montpelier’s culinary offerings. On State Street, you’ll find even more culinary delights, including food truck favorites and artisans showcasing the best Vermont food products (with free samples!). Don’t forget to vote for your favorite bite to win the Best of Montpelier Award, presented by Consolidated Communications!
The State Street Festival Grounds will feature world-class entertainment curated by artistic director Woody Keppel, co-founder of Burlington’s Festival of Fools, and a cocktail garden hosted by Barr Hill featuring Barr Hill cocktails and Good Measure Brewing beers!
Enjoy performances by The Red Trouser Show (featuring a never-before-seen combination of precision acrobatics paired with daring feats, such as knife and fire juggling, and a breathtaking final act that ends high in the air), Wacky Chad (an extreme stunt comedian), Modern Times Theater (featuring puppet shows, novelty music, and Vaudeville acts), What Cheer Brigade (a 14-piece brass band!), and more! Don't miss the procession to the Community Picnic at 4:45!
VSECU Performance Pitch on State Street
2:00 Red Trouser Show
2:45 Brass Balagan
3:30 Red Trouser Show
4:15 Brass Balagan
Union Mutual Performance Pitch in 60 State Street Parking Lot
2:00 Modern Times Theater
2:45 Wacky Chad
3:15 Modern Times Theater
4:15 Wacky Chad
4:45 What Cheer? Brigade leads a procession to the State House Lawn for the Community Picnic
Artisans Offering Free Samples
Many will offer items available for purchase
- Anderbell Acres is a local farm selling PYO berries, flowers and pumpkins. Stop by to get flowers for the Community Picnic!
- Babette's Table is a woman-run, artisanal cured meat company. We make all our products with local meat in our facility in Waitsfield, Vermont. We will be selling and sampling their salami, frozen sausage, and pancetta.
- Bonte Bakery is a gluten-free bakery specializing in artisan breads and baked goods. They will offer samples of their gluten-free baked goods, artisan breads, and pizza crusts.
- Burtt's Apple Orchard is a pick-your-own apple orchard in Cabot. They will be selling cider donuts, apples, cider, and corn.
- Cabot Creamery Co-operative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and makes a full line of cheeses, Greek yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and butter. Widely known as makers of “The World’s Best Cheddar,” Cabot is owned by hundreds of dairy farm families of Agri-Mark, the Northeast’s premier dairy cooperative, with farms located throughout New England and upstate New York.
- Caledonia Spirits, makers of Barr Hill Gin, produces landcrafted spirits right in Montpelier that celebrate raw honey and craft distilling, and uniting agriculture and cocktail culture. Enjoy samples of their craft spirits, including Barr Hill Gin, Tom Cat Gin, Barr Hill Vodka, and Maple Vodka, along with house-made ginger syrup and tonic syrup and raw honey.
- Daily Chocolate is a small batch chocolate shop located in Vermont's oldest and smallest city, Vergennes. Daily Chocolate is committed to keeping their ideas fresh, their flavors inventive, and their look beautiful - all while using quality ingredients that are ethically and sustainably sourced.
- Fig and Fennel Bread is a home bakery in Montpelier specializing in naturally leavened sourdough breads. They sell our bread through our weekly subscriptions as well as one off orders every other Friday. They bake a variety of breads from country sourdough, baguettes, seeded loaves and seasonal specials.
- Lake Champlain Chocolates creates extraordinary chocolates using only the best ingredients, including 100% Fair Trade Chocolate, and local cream, butter, honey and maple syrup. Stop by to sample one of our newest line of extra dark chocolate bars with flavors like Golden Spice, Raspberry Jam, and Crunch Quinoa.
- Mamma Boucha offers craft kombucha tea. Mamma Boucha is an endless source of love and vitality and desires nothing more than to be replicated in order to nourish as many folks as possible. Not only is she living-giving, but she’s also got a flair for fun, and has no problem at all mixing with the wildest flavor combinations the imagination can stir up.
- Montpelier Vineyards will offer samples of their red, white and rosé sparkling wine, mead, cider, and co-ferments, unfiltered and produced without sulfites from Vermont-grown organic grapes artfully fermented right here in Montpelier.
- Stannard Farm is a 4th-generation farm in the northeast kingdom. Our maple syrup is certified organic and wood-fired. They offer maple cotton candy and other confections at summer markets and events, and maple syrup year-round.
- Vermont Creamery is a butter and cheese company based in Websterville. They plan to sample their artisan cheeses, goat cheese, and other products.
Use Your Taste Tickets to Enjoy
Purchase Taste Tickets at the Montpelier Alive tables on State Street. Proceeds from Taste Tickets benefit Montpelier Alive and the Vermont Food Bank.
- 1 Ticket: $4
- 3 Tickets: $10
- 5 Tickets: $15
- 10 tickets + $5 donation to Vermont Food Bank: $25
- 20 Tickets + $5 donation to Vermont Food Bank: $40
Many participants will offer additional items for purchase.
On State Street:
Thai Beef Salad | Veggie Curry with Saffron Rice | 2 Tickets Each
Enna is an International Deli at 14 State Street offering take out from 7 am to 3 pm daily.
- Greene Mountain Nutrition and Smoothies
9-Ounce Smoothie | 2 Tickets
Greene Mountain Nutrition and Smoothies is Vermont's only independently-owned supplement store & smoothie bar. Enjoy their refreshing smoothies.
- Julio's Cantina
Street Taco with house braised pork, pickled onions and Vermont Creamery goat cheese | 2 Tickets
Approaching its 40th anniversary, the newly renovated Julio’s Cantina offers great mexican inspired fare, margaritas, burgers and draft beers at our new bar and blended indoor/outdoor dining room and patio seating.
- Kingdom Creamery of VT
One small scoop | 2 tickets
Kingdom Creamery of VT is a generational farm producing super premium ice cream at their processing plant right on the farm in East Hardwick, VT.
- Mo's Backyard BBQ
- Small serving of smoked Mac n’ cheese with pulled pork | 2 Tickets
Mo’s offers the best BBQ around. Delicious pulled pork, brisket, and smoked Mac n cheese.
- The North Branch Café
Sampling of Vegetarian Maki | 2 Tickets
The North Branch is a cozy tea and wine cafe focused on nurturing our community with healthy, light fare using organic and local ingredients. We are also an art gallery, featuring the works of our talented local artists.
- Oakes & Evelyn
Carolina-style Pulled Pork Steam Buns | Gnocchi with local mushrooms & tomatoes, corn, parmesan | 2 Tickets Each
Oakes & Evelyn is a modern farm-to-table restaurant located in downtown Montpelier, Vermont. This establishment is the culmination of decades of toil and more dreams than can be counted. A love of local farms, artisans, and scenery merge to form an inviting, tasty experience.
- Sisters of Anarchy Ice Cream
Kiddie Cone | 2 Tickets
Sisters of Anarchy doesn't throw around farm-to-cone just because it's a catchy phrase. We are the farmers growing the flavor elements and making the ice cream on site at our farm. Fun...yes, we know fun with cheeky flavor names and entertaining serving staff.
- Three Penny Taproom
Mini Cubano Sandwich | 2 Tickets
Three Penny Taproom offers modern American pub fare focused on local ingredients and in-house made. Thoughtful, knowledgeable service and one of VT and New England's most renowned and award-winning draft beer selections.
- Bent Nails Bistro (4 Langdon Street)
Coq-au-vin | 2 Tickets
Meatballs | Spinach-Artichoke Dip | 1 Ticket Each
Bent Nails Bistro is a live Music venue serving Bistro style food with a uniquely artistic atmosphere.
- Namaste (100 Main Street)
Tender Chicken Wings | Chicken Tikka Masala, Saag Paneer | 2 Tickets Each
Vegetable Samosa | 1 Ticket
The food at Namaste is a very authentic taste of Nepal and Indian. They use herbal spices, which are very good for your health. The food is always fresh and organic.
- Rabble-Rouser Chocolate & Craft Co. (64 Main Street)
Magic Chunks (Chocolate-Covered Granola) | 2 Tickets
Rabble Rouser is a Worker-Owned Chocolate Factory & Cafe that carries confections, local products, art, gifts, and chocolate confections.
- Sarducci's (3 Main Street)
Shrimp and local beet salad | 2 Tickets
Sarducci's offers Italian fare on the river with outside seating, friendly service, and special cocktails.
- Woodbelly Pizza (79 Barre Street)
One Slice | 2 Tickets
Delicious sourdough pizza made from the finest local ingredients.